Location: Huntsville Alabama or telework with 20% short term domestic travel
Full Time Position beginning TBD-Contingent on Award
Market Competitive Salary and Benefits
Blackrock Strategy is searching for an experienced technical writer to join our team. The technical writer will be responsible for generating innovative ideas for content while working both independently and collaboratively as part of a team. The position requires research of products, services, technology, or concepts to be documented and easily understood by a broad audience. As an ideal candidate, you have proven experience in a highly technical field, such as software development, computer science, or engineering for at least three to five years.
- Areas of expertise:
- Experienced working with the extensive and nuanced documentation process and procedures for new military equipment and capabilities.
- Highly experienced in word processing and briefing slide preparation software.
- Highly experienced in the use of graphic design and production software, has a graphics portfolio.
- Experience drafting, editing, and producing technical documents in XML format.
- Writes and edits technical documents including reference manuals and product manuals.
- Writes and edits procedural documentation such as user guides and manuals.
- Determines the type of publication that will best serve the project requirements.
- Meets with engineers, programmers, and project managers to learn about specific products or processes.
- Research product samples to fully understand product.
- Assesses the audience needs for whom the technical and procedural documentation is intended; adjusts tone and technical terms used to meet those needs and to ensure understanding.
- Plans writing processes and sets timelines and deadlines.
- Creates or works with graphic designers to create diagrams, charts, and other visual aids to assist readers in understanding a product or process.
- Gathers feedback from customers, designers, and manufacturers to improve technical documents.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Draws on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Independently performs a wide variety of complicated tasks.
- Provides consultation on complex projects and is considered to be the top-level contributor/specialist.
- Able to lead and direct the work of others.
- Experience establishing operational plans for the technical area
- Has developed and implemented innovative products, processes, standards, or operational plans achieved through research and integration of best practices that had an impact on the achievement of functional results of a project or system
- Has significantly improved on existing processes and practices.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, Teams, and SharePoint or related software.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Technical Writing, or related field required
- Preferably Certified by The Society for Technical Communication (STC) or Other Approved Institute
Candidate must have 3-5 years of experience in the following:
- Study blueprints, sketches, drawings, parts lists, specifications, mockups, and product samples to integrate and delineate technology, operating procedure, and production sequence and detail, organizes material and completes writing assignment according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology; and reviews published materials and recommends revisions or changes in scope, format, content, and methods of reproduction and binding.
- Develop, write, and edit material for reports, manuals, briefs, proposals, instruction books, catalogs, and related technical and administrative publications concerned with work methods and procedures, and installation, operation, and maintenance of machinery and other equipment, receives assignment from supervisor, observes production, developmental, and experimental activities to determine operating procedure and detail.
- Provide support in laying out material for publication, arrange for typing, duplication, and distribution of material, write speeches, articles, and public or employee relations releases, edit, standardize, or make changes to material prepared by other writers or plant personnel.
There are limited supervisory responsibilities with this job.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- MUST BE A U.S. CITIZEN
- Top Secret DoD SECURITY CLEARANCE
- Must pass physical and health requirements
- Must pass testing requirements
- Individual must accept and meet all program standards and guidelines
- Individual should possess reasonable interactive and social skills
Ability to read in English to analyze and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, government regulations, and procedure manuals. Ability to write in English for routine reports and correspondence.
Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, proportions, and probabilities to practical situations. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measurement using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Statistics formalized training, skill set, and on-the-job application is highly desired.
Ability to solve practical problems by defining the problem, collecting data, establishing facts, and drawing valid conclusions. Ability to apply common sense.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must have a valid driver’s licenses issued by state of residence. Must have or be able to obtain a Top-Secret level security clearance with access to sensitive compartmented information. Must have a valid United States passport.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear and see.
Sit or stand for periods of time. Ability to lift and carry 30+ pounds of gear up to 100m. Other physical demands included (but not exclusive of) use of ladders and steps, lift or team lift heavy equipment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This job requires travel overseas and to military field-like conditions. These operations have the potential to be extremely dangerous and operators in this field can be subject to direct and indirect risks.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to Resume@blackrockstrategy.com.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Blackrock Strategy LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.